Ven. Maria Angela Virgili

Novena to the Holy Trinity

In order to obtain graces through the intercession of the Servant of God Maria Ángela Virgili, Carmelite Tertiary

Divine Eternal Father, through the perfect submission of the Servant of God Maria Ángela to your holy will; deign to receive the pleas that we ask of you for her glorification and grant us the grace that we particularly ask…

Our Father..Hail Mary..Glory Be

Divine Eternal Son, through the love with which the Servant of God bore in her body Your Passion, listen to our pleas that we ask of You for her glorification and the one that we now ask for ourselves for the good of our souls…

Our Father..Hail Mary..Glory Be

Divine Eternal Spirit, by the ideals that you gave the Servant of God that caused her to share Your Love with others, grant us the grace that we ask of You for her glorification and for the benefit of our souls.

Our Father..Hail Mary..Glory Be

And to You, most holy Virgin, Mother and Beauty of Carmel, by the tender devotion that your Tertiary, the Servant of God Maria Ángela Virgili, rendered to you, obtain a favorable answer to our pleas and through Your intercession, accelerate the day of her elevation to the altars so that we may be able one day sing with You eternally the divine mercies. Amen.

Hail Holy Queen.

For graces received, please contact the National Secretariat of the the Lay Carmelites.

Venerable Maria Angela Virgili, TOC

Places, life and works of the Venerable Mariangela Virgili

The Cultural Association inspired to her wants to keep the memory alive and strives to see her raised to the glory of the altars.

Ronciglione, the country that gave her birth

Ronciglione is a town of about 9,000 inhabitants in the province of Viterbo, located along the path west of Vico Lake of Via Francigena. It is located about 20 kilometres from Viterbo and about 45 km from Rome.
Its origins go back to the residential settlements of Etruscan ,of which remain modest necropolis in the tufaceous valleys. During the Roman era the road urbanization was enhanced: the city was a “Castrum” between the Via Cassia Cimina and the Via Clodia. The Romans built important hydraulic works such as the aqueduct and the underground tunnel of the Vico Lake’s emissary. Evidence of this period are some ruins of Roman villas (Poggio Cavaliere),of the aqueduct and of funerary finds as gravestones, tombstones and mausoleums.

Origin of its name

According to some, the name Ronciglione, comes from a certain Rossillon, noble and powerful French settled in these places in the VIII century due to the air so healthy that could be breathed, whose emblem (GONFALONE)was represented by two red lions.

In fact, even today, the emblem of the country shows the lions with the addition of a sickle and a lily of the Farnese Family, who led the country during the sixteenth century.

The foundation of Ronciglione, according to the historical Cipriano Manente of sixteenth century, was dated to 1045 by the Prefects of Vico. Around the year 1000, Ronciglione is included in the Roman Duchy of Pontifical Curia. To this period belong medieval villages that surround the Castle of Di Vico Family, the Church of Providence and the Church of St. Andrea.

In 1537 Paul III Farnese includes the county in the Duchy of Castro:

It will be the period of maximum urban and productive activity. Will be built the Church of Peace, the Great Fountain, Palazzo Comunale, Porta Romana and numerous paper-mills, copper and iron foundries, printeries.

In 1649 Pope Urban VIII remove to Farnese family the Duchy of Ronciglione and Caprarola, that returns under the direct rulership of the Popes. During the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries many historic buildings and churches raised, including the Cathedral, the most important religious building of Ronciglione.

In 1728 Benedict XIII conferred to Ronciglione the title of city.

During the First roman republic (1798-99) Ronciglione suffered with ravages and a fire by French troops, which burned up for three days, destroying 174 buildings and the historic archive.

The town was later rebuilt but it didn‘t reach anymore its ancient splendour. Finally, it was heavily bombed on June 5th, 1944 by the Allies (Americans).

There were more than 200 victims and 250 apartments were destroyed.

Today Ronciglione presents itself to foreigners as a city well structured, with large streets, the renaissance palaces well restored, and the 16th century and baroque Village well preserved.

Coming from Rome, just passed Porta Romana, can be admired one of the best glimpses of Ronciglione: the two ancient villages with the imposing mass of the new cathedral and the Castle, dominant at the height of view.

The church of Sant’Andrea, now Santa Maria of Providence (sec.XI), dominated by the beautiful bell tower built in the XII century on the basis of the tower of Porta in Pentoma, was of Romanesque style, and was the first parish church in Ronciglione, already built as “castrum” by the feudatory or Count of “patrimonium Saints Petri in Tuscia “in IX-X century.

In the year 1702 the building collapsed in the southwest wall and was therefore closed to worship.

The origins of the name "St. Mary of Providence" follow to an episode happened in 1742 and in which was protagonist Padre Angelo Ferretti, nephew of the Venerable Mariangela Virgili, who, remembering a aunt’s prophecy , after her death, begun the restoration of the collapsed church.

Convinced to find the "treasure", whose aunt had spoken, on June 9th, under the pickaxe of masons, instead of gold and silver was discovered an ancient frescoed Madonna.

So he then realized that about this "treasure" his aunt was talking to and, for the joy, he began shouting "Providence, Providence" so much to rush all the people of the village.

From that day the church was named St. Mary of Providence or Our Lady of Providence. It was June 9th, 1742, as we read on a stone came to light in 1955. Since then, during the first Sunday of June, to celebrate the event, in all the families of villages is consumed a meal with potato gnocchi. We can find confirmation of all of these news by reading the life of Venerable Mariangela Virgili, born and lived in Ronciglione from 1661 to 1734.

Over the years, the date of the feast was moved several times just to get to the first Sunday of August.

To manage the feast is, always, the Fraternity of S. Maria of Providence which, under the guidance of the governor, Carlo Trappolini, grew in importance and prestige.

His successor was Oreste Marini, nicknamed Sandro . He gave further impetus to the event and began to let taste people attending it, the potato gnocchi.

Thus was born the "Gnoccata". Today in caring for the celebrations, which last for five days, in addition to the Brotherhood, there is also the Cultural Association Mariangela Virgili that gave to the celebration, with cultural, popular, artistic and sporting events, a national echo.

The Cultural Association Mariangela Virgili.

On November 09th 1986 in the Church of Providence, a group of people linked by their devotion to the Venerable, decides to form an Association thus to ensure that the double veto that weighed on the cause of beatification would have been removed and the process of the case - suspended, first in 1900 and then in 1911-could have finally been carried on.

In this purpose, Agostino Trappolini get immediately available to the newborn Association a location called " la Torretta della Costarella ", in Via Arco Muccetti 11.

On February 3rd 1987, at the studio of the Notary Massimo Manara ( burn in ronciglione) in Rome, 12 members constitute the Cultural Association Mariangela Virgili, with the primary purpose of observing, as soon as possible, the illustrious citizen elevated to the honour of the altars.

In January 1988, the Reverend father Redemptus M. Valabek, General Postulator of the Carmelites, on request of the Cultural Association Mariangela Virgili, Archbishop Osvaldo Palace and Archbishop Pacific Chiricozzi, requires the Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith (formerly the Holy Office), the removal of "reponatur" (vetoes) established by the Congregation of holy office to the Cause of canonization of the Servant of God Mariangela Virgili, from the years 1900 the first, and 1911 the second..

So, thanks to the interest of different people, starting by the Holy Father, John Paul II, then Your Eminence Monsignor Divo Zadi, our diocesan bishop, Father Giancarlo Girotti (now Bishop), father Emanuele Boaga , Father Roberto Walemberg of Carmelites fathers, on November 10th, 1993 is finally given the announcement of the removal of the veto.

That day was the 259th anniversary of the death of Venerable and the bells of all the churches of Ronciglione played for the holiday.

On December 4th , 1993, Your Eminence Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger (now Pope), at that period Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (formerly the Holy Office),with Protocol 248/11 of 04/12/1993 announced to your Excellency Rev. Mr. Card. Angelo Felici, Prefect of the Congregation for the CAUSES OF SAINTS, that the Dicastery, after having been subjected to a careful examination both the documentation, and the various evidences given after the echo of Excellency Mons. Divo Zadi, Bishop of Civita Castellana, gives his “approval” to the reopening of the Cause of Canonization.

So it is finally resumed the process of beatification of Venerable. The current supervisor is Professor Father Vincenzo Mosca, Carmelite.

In 1994, immediately after the removal of the veto, there is a need to represent the Venerable not in religious clothing, as it has been improperly represented so far, but as a laic which she was.

For the purpose, two distinguished professors, Pico Celli, art critic and Lucia Portoghesi professor of anthropological sciences and expert in the history of costume, begin their studies, starting from anthropometric examination of the plaster mask of Mariangela Virgili, made by the doctors from the Venerable just after her death and jealously preserved in a reliquary in her house-museum.

They read books and manuscripts of that period and, after that study, the figure of the Venerable was realised with pictorial painting by Professor Mario Piovano.

The result is pleasant: it is the figure of a woman of the people of that era.

People who watch it remain attracted by the interior attraction, which also inspires devotion and prayer.

In the location owned by the Association (purchased by a group of members in 1998 and registered to the Association), and in the opposite square during the whole year studying days, conferences, book presentations, theatrical, musical and sporting events and, not least, convivial meetings to fraternize are arranged, in order to make known the Venerable and spreading historical memory and cultural identity.

Several are the guided tours of the House Museum in Piazza degli Angeli and her grave, built in 1999 in the Church of the Cathedral, especially by foreigners, and in particular by young people and teenagers.

On November 4th 2003, at the request of the President of the Association, supported by all teachers, and by the Ministry of Education, of University and Research - regional school office for the Lazio- the Council Comprehensive college “ Mariangela Virgili " in Ronciglione institutionalizes a day (the last Saturday working day of the month of May of each year), to be spent through memory and commemoration of the distinguished citizen whose name is dedicated to the school.

The gratitude of the Association, as well as the whole teaching staff, goes to the late Professor Renzo Innocenzi, president of the Institute, who strongly wanted this event.

On this day, since 4 years now, throughout the morning more than 450 students are involved in the great event.

In Piazza degli Angeli, under the watchful eyes of teachers, they perform choirs and group games: the oldest are involved in religious functions, and now by tradition pupils in the first and fifth classes, by rotation, visit the house-museum of the Venerable.

On this occasion, that day, the President of the association acts as a guide. During the morning a rich breakfast to all participants is offered.

Mariangela Virgili, woman and mystical

Today the medieval villages of Ronciglione are walked not only for visiting the house-museum of Venerable, but even for tourist curiosity or for reasons of study, but recently only devotees of the Venerable were going to visit her house, located in the “Borgo di sotto” in Piazza degli Angeli.

Let’s say, by the way, that the building of Virgili family, located in the in the most peculiar place of the square, with the family coat of arms on the frontal of the main entrance, with the Renaissance massive window, the oldest remains of a double lancet window and a staircase, is one of the most interesting monuments of the historical centre of Ronciglione.

In the seventeenth century the Virgili family declined and the second floor of the palace was inhabited by the family of Venerable.

There is still the “cell” (= fence wood) where she lived and died.

In her house walls are covered with an unusual tapestry:

You can, in fact, admire several hundred ex-voto in silver representing hearts, eyes and other anatomical parts; then boards and votive paintings, album with pictures of ordinary people and soldiers of all wars, including those of the existing quotas on missions of peace.

Of the many records, with the signatures and dedications of visitors, for indescribable vicissitudes, today only 5 are remaining. The oldest dates back to 1910.

There can be found names of people from all over Italy, who claim to have received a grace or a particular favour through the intercession of the Venerable.

Such is the influx of visitors, that you cannot be surprised in finding hung on the walls of the house an ex-voto and a photo, accompanied by a thought of the day before or of the same day.

This is the devotion of which is subject Mariangela Virgili, this is her home, continuous goal of people of all social classes, that with hope and confidence are addressed to her.

The sources of the life of Sister Mariangela are formed by the volumes of "Processo Apostolico" and from her “Vita” that, just three years after her death in 1737 Father Francesco Di Simone, priest of the Congregation of Pious men, writes, dedicating her effort to illustrious Gentlemen Gonfaloniere and Priori dell'Inclita Città di Urbino, on the life of the Servant of God Mariangela Virgili, Carmelite Tertiary.

In 1765 the Brother Francesco from Ceccano, Capuchin Preacher of the Roman Province (confessor of the Venerable) writes another book dedicated to illustrious Gentlemen, The Clergy, Gonfaloniere and Priori dell'Inclita City of Ronciglione "Life of Servant of God Mariangiela Virgili Terziaria Professa Carmelite.”

About the reading of her life, who had expected resonant facts and events for the social and chronicle content would remain disappointed.

There is, however, a fact that let us meditate.

After 273 years, so many are from her death, her veneration among the people, not just the people of Ronciglione, is still alive and present.

So there is the spontaneous question: Who is her and what is the Venerable for people living in Ronciglione? Which ideal binds her to the people?

The answer is simple: she is a Mother, accessible without any letters of recommendation.

She offers us the Christian message of human brotherhood. During her earthly life she was a mystic and a woman of action. Suddenly, from an early age, her life was celebrated in perfect union with God.

But God is not joking.

To the mystical bridegroom, as proof of her love, she made prayers, fasts, disciplines.

The Lord spoke to her through an 'intellectual light' and she had the gift of clairvoyance, prophecy and introspection of souls.

She was also, as we said, a woman of action.

While consecrated to God (in 1700 wearing the dress of the Third Order and two years after holding the public and solemn profession of Carmelite Tertiary), she discovers the life and the world, with its defects and its suffering.

Moved by her solid realism and her enthusiasm for spirituality she deeply takes care for the sick, redeems lost women, assists dying people and the prisoners, she became mother of the poor, orphans, widows.

That’s why she’s so great and we admire her.

Those who visits the web site at can see copious documentation of the events dealt with by 1987 to today, in addition to the history of Ronciglione and of Mariangela Virgili.

It is also thanks to the great participation of the people – from Ronciglione and not –to the community of Ronciglione and to the Cultural Association if, for Mariangela Virgili, the earthly life continues, in spite of death.

The presence among us of the Venerable, indeed, it seems strengthened after her soul reached the house of the Father.

In fact, the teaching, the merciful inspiration and the protector hand of Mariangela Virgili continue to fill our hearts and our community.

Although respectful to the judgment of the Church about the possible heroic virtues and the truthfulness of her miracles ,in the hearts of all of us she is already holy.

Bruno Pastorelli
of the Cultural Association Mariangela Virgili

Cultural Association Mariangela Virgili Piazza degli Angeli, 7-01037 Ronciglione
Phone-0761 627570-335 1403728
E-mail site

From "Poligraphia Ronciglionensium" by Papirio Serangeli 1609

The Medieval villages watched from the Porta of Vignola, in the foreground the bell tower and the Church of Providence, in the background the Castle and the Cathedral.

Church of S.m. of Providence

The priests of Ronciglione -Mons. Antio Duranti, Mons. Osvaldo Palazzi and Mons. Pacifico Chiricozzi on May 1st 1988 donate to the Holy Father John Paul II, in visit to the Shrine of St. Mary and Rupes in Castel Sant'Elia, a high relief with a scene of the life of Venerable made in pure gold laminated, created by the late master Loreto Paradisi, co-founder of the Association C. M. Virgili

New image of the Venerable (Mario Piovano 1994)
2 Students at the Mariangeladay

Palazzo Virgili

Inside the wooden fence, on the corner, the reliquiary with the copy of the face of the Venerable.

Copy of the face of the Venerable

The first printed image of the Venerable taken from the book "The life of the Servant of God Mariangiola Virgili Terziaria Carmelite" published in 1737 (released 3 years after her death).